A worker at LG Display’s factory in Paju has died two months after falling unconscious following a gas leak.
The man, surnamed Lee, was an employee of a supplier to the South Korean display maker. He was exposed to tetramethylammonium hydrooxide from a leak at the P8 factory in Paju and suffered a full body burn. He passed away on March 11.
Another fellow worker, surnamed Choi, who also injured from the leak, remains unconscious in the hospital.
The two suffered heart attacks during the incident but were revived. Four other workers who were also involved only suffered minor burns.
Police are still investigating the matter. They believe that a valve leaked the harmful gas when the works were moving the gas tank that contains it.
The hydrooxide is use during etching of circuits for semiconductors, liquid crystal displays and printed circuit boards as well as other integrated circuits. LG Display’s P8 factory manufactures LCD panels for IT applications.