AT&S Korea said on Friday that it will begin operation of its second factory at Ansan in May.
The factory was completed in the last week of March, AT&S Korea president Song In-wook said.
Once the second factory start operation, the company’s production capacity for flexible printed circuit board (FPCB) will increase by approximately 30%, he said.
The second factory is adjacent to the first factory. The six story building takes up 8,000 meter-square of space. Around 21 billion won was spent to build it.
The company’s claim of a 30% expansion in capacity likely includes cannibalization in capacity caused by the expanded application of multi-layers. As boards add more additional layers, it becomes more difficult to quantify their actual production capacity.
In December, 2019, when AT&S Korea started construction of the second factory, it had said it expected production capacity to increase from 300,000 meter-square per year to 650,000 to 750,000 meter-square per year.
In the second factory, PCB for medical, industrial and vehicle applications will be made, as they are in the first factory. FPCB made for health technology products of Siemens is the biggest contributor the firm’s sales. Around 98% of AT&S Korea’s sales comes from export. AT&S Korea exports through its parent company AT&S based in Austria.
The second factory was initially slated to be completed in November, but his had been delayed.
AT&S Korea is expected to have recorded early 60 billion won in sales for its fiscal year running from April 2020 to March 2021. In the prior fiscal year to that, the firm recorded 54.4 billion won in sales and 19.4 billion won in operating income. It had an operating margin rate of 35.7%.
AT&S Korea was previously local PCB firm Tofic, founded in 2004. The firm was founded by former Interflex employees. AT&S acquired Tofic in 2006 and renamed in AT&S Korea. The business unit is wholly owned by the Austrian company.
AT&S is one of the top ten PCB companies in the world. Boards for mobile devices and semiconductors account for around 70% of its revenue, with the remaining 30% coming from auto-component, industrial and healthcare. Besides Austria, it has production facilities in South Korea, India and China.
Its facilities in Shanghai and Chongqing manufactures boards for chips, mobile devices, auto-component and industrial use. AT&S had recently announced it plans to build a third factory at Chongqing to supply boards for application in chips. Its first and second factories in the city makes substrate like PCB (SLP), which are used as boards in Apple’s iPhones. Intel is still by far its biggest customer.